Topic 4 – Notes
Work with Sheets
After completing this lesson, you should know how to:
- Insert, rename and delete a worksheet
- Change the tab colour
- Hide and unhide worksheets
- Move and copy worksheets
- Group worksheets
A worksheet is a collection of cells where you enter, edit and keep data. A maximum of 255 worksheets can be used in an Excel workbook.
Insert a Worksheet:
Quick methods to insert a worksheet:
- Right-click on sheet name → Insert… (the sheet will appear to the left of the current sheet)
- Excel 2013 and 2016: Click on the “plus” to the right of the sheets (the sheet will appear to the right of the current sheet)
- Excel 2010: Click on the “New sheet” button at the end of the last sheet (the sheet will appear after the last sheet)
Rename a Worksheet:
Quick methods to rename a worksheet:
- Right-click on sheet name → Rename (the current name will display with a grey or black background – type new name to replace)
- Double-click on the current sheet name g type new name
Delete a Worksheet:
How to delete a worksheet:
- Right-click on the sheet name → Delete
- A warning message will appear:
Note: You cannot undo sheet deletion!
Change the Tab Colour:
How to change the tab colour:
Right-click on the sheet name → Tab Colour – choose any colour
The active sheet will display in bold.
Hide & Unhide a Worksheet:
- Hide a worksheet: Right-click on the sheet name → Hide
- Unhide a worksheet: Right-click on the sheet name → Unhide…
Note: If no sheet is hidden, the Unhide option will be greyed out.
Move & Copy Worksheets:
How to move a worksheet:
- Drag the sheet tab and drop the sheet where you want it
Methods to copy a worksheet:
- Ctrl + drag the sheet tab and drop the copy of the sheet where you want it (quickest method)
- Right-click on the sheet tab → Move or Copy…
Worksheets can be grouped if you want to type on more than one sheet at the same time. If you however group sheets without realizing it, it can be a problem because you will enter or change information on sheets without knowing it!
When sheets are grouped, it is visible on the sheet tabs. In this example, both Jan and Feb are displayed in bold and there is a line below the sheet tabs.
When sheets are grouped, there is also an indication on the title bar at the top of the window. The word [Group] will appear after the name of the file.
Show a list of all the Sheets
- Right-click on the arrows to the left of the first sheet
- A list of all the sheets in the workbook will display
- Click on a sheet name to activate it