Topic 11 – Notes
After completing this lesson, you should know:
- How to format the font
- How to change the alignment
- How to change the number formatting
- How to use Format Painter to apply formatting
The font and borders can be customized for a selected cell or a range of cells.
Home ribbon tab → Font group
- Select the area where you want to insert borders.
- Click on the arrow next to the border command.
- Choose the option you prefer.
Excel has a range of alignment options to enhance the text on a worksheet. You can change the horizontal and vertical alignment, rotate the text in a cell, use wrap text, merge cells and change the indentation.
Home ribbon tab → Alignment group
Align Text in Cells
Use these options to align text horizontally or vertically in cells.
Rotate Text in Cells
Use Orientation to rotate text to a diagonal angle or vertical orientation in cells. This is often used for labelling narrow columns.
- Select the cell(s)
- Home ribbon tab – Alignment group – Orientation
- Select Rotate Text Up
Use this option to join the selected cells into one larger cell. This is often used to create labels that span multiple columns.
- Select two or more cells
- Home ribbon tab – Alignment group – Merge and Centre
Note: Click on the arrow for more merge options.
Use this option to make all content visible within a cell by displaying it on multiple lines.
- Select the cell(s)
- Home ribbon tab – Alignment group – Wrap Text
There are different formatting options for numbers and dates. A date can be formatted as a short date, long date, etc. A value can be formatted as currency, percentage, etc. The decimals of a value can also be increased or decreased.
Home ribbon tab → Number group
Apply Accounting Number Format
USE FORMAT PAINTER
You can apply the look of cells to other content in the worksheet by using Format Painter.
- Select the cell with the format you want to copy
- Click on Format Painter (Home ribbon tab → Clipboard group)
- Click on the cell you want to change
Note: When you click once on Format Painter, the format can only be applied once. Double-click on Format Painter to apply the format more than once. Cancel Format Painter (click on the command again or press Escape) to stop applying the format.